top of page
  • Writer's pictureJenkins Health Coaching

How to maintain healthy habits during the summer holiday?

The summer holiday can be a difficult period to stay on top of your exercise routine and healthy diet. In fact, many people tend to abandon healthy habits and indulge a little too much during the holiday. The following tips will help you to stay on track of your healthy lifestyle during the holiday season.

1. You don’t have to go without indulgences; you just need to set some limits. For example, limit your alcohol servings to one per day. Because when you drink more, you are also more likely to make other unhealthy food choices during the day.

2. Maintain 90/10 mindset in nutrition. This means that you can eat healthy 90 percent of the time while the remaining 10 percent can be devoted to “cheat meals”. However, just remember that it is just a “cheat meal” and not a “cheat day”. “Cheat meals” can be a part of your holiday diet, but “cheat days” can ruin your healthy diet.

3. Track your habits. A food journal or activity tracker is a good way to track how often you are exercising. Tracking your daily progress can make you more conscious and alert you when you are starting to slide.

4. Don't pause workouts, but adjust the schedule. Most likely your normal workout schedule is difficult to maintain during the holiday, so create a holiday workout scheme that fits your holiday agenda.

5. Get a workout-buddy or ask someone to help you stay accountable. If you have scheduled a workout with a friend or someone reminds you to exercise, you are more likely to follow through.

6. Schedule your workout in the morning even though normally you may do otherwise. Once your workout is out of the way, you don’t have to think about it rest of the day. Also, once you work out in the morning, you are more likely to make healthier choices for the rest of the day.

7. Make your workout useful. For example, if you are traveling, explore the new area by running or biking. Or plan to make your groceries on the way home from your run. 

And lastly, enjoy yourself and don't beat yourself up if you do a bit less once in a while. Summer holiday is for living, relaxation and having a good time with family and friends.

124 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page